Thursday 31 October 2013

Into the routine

Into the routine, except I made an interesting mistake before getting out of the hotel. It takes 2 lifts to get out, and when I changed lifts I managed to get on one that took me back up most of the way I'd come from, then a long wait for the next one, which was a shame as Neil who was waiting for me was wondering where I'd got to! Still the shuttle bus got us there in about time for the morning prayers, and then the participatory bible study which was well led by a Tongan who teaches theology in Australia - quite entertaining even, on the Genesis 2 creation story. For one thing he linked the words ecology  and economy and ecumenical (all to do with the Greek word house). The main morning input session was preceded by a greeting by the Prime Minister of Korea - special security for that one. The session included the UN director of Aids programmes, an Egyptian woman speaking of what has been happening to churches and Christians there, then a thoughtful bishop from Sri Lanka. I'd noticed you could sign up for a tea ceremony and there was a gap at 3, so I didn't attend much of a business meeting which wasn't terribly relevant to me. I can make a cup of tea quicker than they did, but I guess that's the whole point - and it was another time down on the floor - don't know how many years I've got ahead of me for that! Next a very good Ecumenical Conversation session on issues regarding the future of the ecumenical movement, taking account of global changes both religious and things like the movements of population for economic or climate change reasons. Climate justice is emerging as a key concept, with the world's poor recognising that they aren't the ones using the fuels etc. We talk about climate change, they talk about climate justice. At least as many Christians are Pentecostal now as are in WCC member churches (overlapping a bit), so how representative is the WCC? As an African Archbishop put it, "Who are the Christians in London now?" Which is one of the reasons I came to the event. At John Bunyan we're about 15 altogether, but there's a larger number of Koreans, and a larger number still of Nigerians also worshipping in our building on Sundays - that's pretty typical especially as you get further into London. Then there was a European regional meeting with input from a Greek woman about how it feels in Greece at present - when they talk about Europe they refer to them out there, rather like we still do in Britain - they feel on the outside. Then Orthodox style prayers to end the day - oh, and I'd been to Taize prayers at lunchtime. Time for a wander round the market at the back of the hotel when Neil and I got back. Plenty of fish swimming around and a lot of rather moribund eels, but then it was getting towards bedtime. Had some more battered fishbits, maybe more adventurous tomorrow night. Met up with Paul Goodliff, our Baptist Union representative, who before he was a minister was a teacher at Tiffin School and used to come over torches Kaleidoscope Cafe for his lunch! Met a lady from New Zealand who'd been in New Malden last week. The world is a small place, and there are some people who seem to be doing an enormous amount of travelling. There are some pretty exotic looking people - and that's just the clergy!

No comments:

Post a Comment